The carpet gets dirty easily, and accumulates bad odors. Regular maintenance and periodic deodorization are necessary to remedy this. Practical advice.
Some rules for eliminating bad odors from a carpet
Vomit, mold, pet urine and stool, cigarettes, etc. these attacks leave unpleasant scents on the beautiful carpet. When lacking in maintenance, odors persist and spread throughout the house. To avoid this inconvenience, it is important to wash and deodorize it from time to time. However, certain essential points need to be known to succeed in this operation.
- You have to start by cleaning the carpet by vacuuming. The visible spots should be removed with suitable products. Pets and children should be kept away during treatment. Finally, wearing gloves is strongly recommended during deodorization.
- Never combine ammonia and white vinegar. Mixing may create a toxic chemical reaction. Regarding the use of ammonia, which is a fairly powerful cleanser, it is strongly recommended protecting your nose and mouth and open the windows during the operation. Before applying a product, test its action on an invisible part with a cotton swab. If the color of the carpet settles on it, stop cleaning immediately and proceed dry.
- When you deodorize a carpet giving off a cigarette smell, you must ensure that the interior is well ventilated, and you must promote air circulation. In the absence of ventilation, the wet carpet would give off a musty odor. If the non-slip mat gives off a urine odor, it is advisable to replace it immediately. Avoid using the steam cleaner or pouring hot water directly onto a carpet that smells like urine.
- Call a professional to carry out the treatment in case of failure.
4 tips to remove bad odors
Before deodorizing a carpet, it is important to do a thorough cleaning. This operation essentially consists of dusting and removing remarkable stains from the entire surface of the carpet. To do this, here are the steps to follow:
- Put on household gloves;
- Use a cloth impregnated with warm soapy water, and a few drops of ammonia to clean;
- Insist on stubborn stains;
- Let the product act;
- Rub with a cloth dampened with lukewarm water;
- Use a dry cloth to dab the carpet;
- Dry in lukewarm air from the hair dryer.
To get rid of the bad odors present, here are some foolproof cleaning methods to discover:
- Scatter a thin layer of baking soda over the entire surface of the carpet if the source of the odor is not known. On a small spot, apply the product directly with your fingertip. Leave on overnight if the smell is very marked and only two hours for a small trace. Then empty the vacuum bag before absorbing the baking soda powder. A mixture of baking soda, of borax and washing powders can also be used. Then spray a solution of lemon juice and water or essential oil, so that the carpet smells good after washing.
- Mix 2 cups of baking soda, a little bay leaves, and a few drops of eucalyptus essential oil. Massage the carpet with the solution so that it is perfectly impregnated. Leave for 2 hours, then vacuum.
- Spread Sommières earth over the entire carpet to remove unpleasant odors. Leave on overnight before vacuuming in the morning. The mixture of white clay and Sommières earth constitutes another alternative that is both stain remover and deodorant.
- In a sprayer, add 50% hot water and 50% white vinegar. Spray the carpet with the mixture and wait a few hours. Finish deodorizing by vacuuming.
How to easily remove stubborn odors?
The long fiber mats tend retain odors. To overcome it, here is a simple tip to adopt:
- Put on gloves and keep children and pets away;
- In a spray bottle, mix a liter of lukewarm water, two tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide, a teaspoon of washing up liquid, 50 g of baking soda, and a tablespoon of vanilla essence;
- Spray the entire carpet, no need to soak the entire surface;
- Empty the vaporizer;
- Air the room;
- Leave to act for 24 hours.
Many of you appreciate the comfort and warmth that rugs provide, whether in your home or in professional premises. They are also real decorative elements and can add a lot of character to a room. If they are not lacking in qualities and advantages, they can nevertheless be synonymous with disadvantages. The most important of them? Their cleaning. This is why your Classy Carpet and Rug Cleaning offers you its services for cleaning your carpet in Pleasanton!
Contact us today: (925) 621-0103